Monday, May 25, 2009


Arlington National Cemetery

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May. Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service. My parents took me to a little cemetery in our town today. We saw many flags....a flag was placed by several graves showing the men & women that had served our country.






My very special friend....my Grandpa Bob served in Korea. A flag was placed at his grave site.
Grandpa didn't like it that they did not call it a war but they called it the "Korean Conflict" - he knew it was a WAR because he was there - in fact, he received a Purple Heart for injuries he received while serving.


I know that Grandpa is not at the cemetery because he went to live with Jesus on January 25 this year. We do not have to go to the grave to remember him but we did so today to honor his service to our country.

Today we honor all those that protect this country and fight for our freedom. Thank you.

God has given me a lot of peace about not seeing my Grandpa. A peace beyond human understanding - Thank you God, for giving me such a wonderful Grandpa and Thank You Grandpa for serving God, Country and Family - I love you.

3 comments:

phyllis said...

How nice that you went to the cemetary, Lindsey. Maybe we can think of more things to make the spot where we remember Grampa Bob
a pretty place, even of he is not there. the flag is nice.

MyOhMy said...

thanks for remembering

cliff said...

your grampa is a hero to me and all of my freinds here