Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Second Test Complete......

The Modified Barium Swallow test was completed this afternoon. I was very cooperative. I had to eat several types of foods and drink different liquids containing Barium. As I swallowed, a Speech-Language pathologist was watching the process on a TV screen. It was clear that I have a general weakening of the muscles in the back of my throat and in my neck. My parents have noticed over the past year that my neck muscles are weak and that I have trouble holding my head up. We may have to discuss this further with the doctor to see if this is just the progression of Cerebral Palsy, if it is a side effect of one of my meds or what may be causing the weakening.

There are several things that we can do to help with my eating - softer foods - no more fun foods like chips, pretzels, popcorn (boo hoo!!!) Any meat that I eat should be covered in gravy or sauce - foods should be thinned out - add a liquid if possible - slow down while eating and drink between each bite. I was given a list of foods to allow and a list to avoid. Many changes to be made in my eating habits. Hopefully, this will help. There is residue left in my esophagus after eating and drinking because the muscles are too weak to push it down. The hernia may be part of the problem so there needs to be further discussion on the seriousness and possible options regarding the hernia.

Thank you for your prayers - I have periods of fussiness and discomfort - hopefully we can get to the source of discomfort and with the new eating habits, I can re-gain a few pounds!!! Thanks again for your love and prayers.

2 comments:

MyOhMy said...

We are glad the tests went well. If we find any soft tasty food you might like, we will call you ;)

Keeker said...

Glad that these tests are over for you. Sorry about the pop corn but it could be a fun adventure to find new favorites.

Love you