Monday, November 10, 2008

Serving the Community with my Friends . . .


I would like you to meet my friend April . . . .

Once a week, Karen & I meet my friend April and her mom, Betty at a Senior Citizen Apartment building in town. We both take public transportation and we have a great time together making new friends, seeing our old friends and serving our community. We find out if there are new residents to welcome to the complex....who is celebrating a birthday or anniversary and we decorate the apartment doors for these special people - sometimes we decorate ALL the doors (150) with seasonal decorations.

Today was a VERY special day because my friend Ellan just moved into this apartment building - Last night was her first night in her new home. We just knew that we had to help Ellan feel welcome. (you may remember Ellan from an earlier posting).




Above is a picture of April and
I decorating Ellan's Door.
To the left is a picture of Ellan, her daughter Ann, Betty (April's Mom) and April. We are all standing in Ellan's new apartment.
Ellan gives me a BIG HUG!!!!
This is such a great place. April and I have been meeting here for several years. It started as a school function but April continues to meet me here even though she no longer attends school. We sometimes meet on non-school days in the summer and I will probably continue to come here after I am too old for school.

We have many friends and continue to meet new ones. This is a great place to find friends!!!

4 comments:

MyOhMy said...

L,
You made me cry when I saw you hug Ellen, what a treat to have such a special friend. I love how you are always giving back! Wow, Betty and April.... I haven't seen them in about 15 years (I think).

Nancy said...

Lindsey....How wonderful of you and April to visit the seniors! I'm sure they appreciate having their doors decorated!

Stacy said...

Well, isn't that a great thing! I'm sure they really look forward to your visits!

Keeker said...

Thanks for making our community such a nice place to live. Your warm faces bring many smiles. And what a blessing of a friend you have in April.
Love You.