Thursday, October 23, 2008

Remodel or Replace ? ? ? ?



This was the question that we needed to answer today!


Instead of going to school, I took a little trip down state to an Orthotics Prosthetics Clinic. I wear AFO's (Ankle Foot Orthotics) to stabilize my ankles. They are required when I am in a standing position. I use a device at school that allows me to stand upright and bear weight on my feet. This benefits me in many ways but the primary goals to to keep my bones strong.

My friend, Karen was able to go on the trip with Mom and I. This was very helpful since she is the person that assists me in standing each day at school. My goal is to stand for 60 minutes each day. I have been stand for about 15 minutes each day because my AFO's were tight on one side of my shin and loose on the other. Karen was able to explain my standing position and the trouble I have experienced. Thank you Karen!!!


Since my AFO's are 4 years old, we didn't know if I would need to have new ones made or if the current ones could be adjusted. The gentleman that works with me is very kind and gentle. After examining my AFO's, he suggested that we try to adjust them - he complimented me on the condition that they are in and wanted to know how we keep them clean.





Just like new!!!

New straps and adjustments through applied heat and they are almost like new!!! We will try them out and if they don't work, we will have new ones made but for now it looks like I'm ready to work on my 60 minute goal.




By the way - it wasn't all business - Karen and Mom and I went to Olive Garden for lunch and I had spaghetti (which is one of my favorites). We also went to the "World Market" which is a fun store to visit - we do not have one in our area so we always try spend a little time in that place.

The weather was clear and sunny, traffic was light and we had a fun, safe and productive day!!!!!

3 comments:

phyllis said...

Sounds like a fun and productive day--hope your legs feel just like home in them--love gram

MyOhMy said...

That's kind of neat that they can adjust them and maybe save some time and money. That gentleman was right, they are in good shape. I'm glad you could have a side trip with the girls while your were together. Love ya L!

Keeker said...

So glad to hear that they could help you in one trip. Its sounds like you had a good but long day. Get some rest so you can work on your standing!
Love you